3.13.2008

on the playground we learn so much


for some reason i have a killer headache right now. it could be a combination of the fact i didn't eat today really and that i'm exhausted. i might have a nap. i had a nap yesterday too. why is it that napping is seen as something bad? there's all these other things i should do like: laundry, dishes, eat, craft, HOMEWORK. ah well.

eta: i hit publish post and realized i had something really cool i wanted to say!

i had my thesis proposal meeting and it went *really* well. so well in fact that both my supervisor and i think that people are holding back. or maybe, i picked thesis support people that were so inline with my thinking that i'm not being told of the gaps/holes because there aren't any. from the meeting i basically got that they want me to be more confused, to document my confusion, and to create some sort of structure and closure even if it's visual!!! i'm so excited and feeling this real sense of artistic and academic license. it also means that i'm handing in my first draft on may 16th. which is coming right up on me soon. but i'm working on my last chapter.

my last chapter is on DIY/Craft and feminism and the historical record. historiography stuff. very cool. but the good/pitfall thing is that i'm on google scholar doing my research, you know seeing what other people think about a) the third-wave historical record/phenomenon, and b) DIY/Craft and lo and behold (i'm actually surprised this time) the only documents aside from a few articles are all MA theses that were defended within the last 2 years. and they're not even on the same thing. one's on zines, one's on crafting indie designers and the internet, one's on knitting. all relevant to my last chapter, but also not what i'm doing but texts that would support my text. how exciting is that? all of the knowledge holders are younger and doing their MA on it. it's not in scholarly journals and its not in book form, yet. i need to meet these people.

the greatest part about all of that is that i *finally* feel like i'm part of something beyond myself and bigger than myself, which honestly in this isolated little university you don't get to feel that very often. other people study these things and they're all cool! phew.

3 comments:

Tamsin said...

Wow, diy crafts and femminism! I have an amazing craft book that has a related article in there. And also, how to turn a typewriter into a keyboard which I'd like to do as soon as I get a soldering iron.

Erm, also, I don't think I've ever commented here but I'm Kalin's friend Tamsin from England. I've been reading your blog for YEARS, since I posted you something to Japan after Kalin left England....x

diandra said...

tamsin, love. i totally have that book!

Melissa said...

i am so proud of you!