1.10.2011

A cute video and a recipe!

The Move, Paper Animation from Mandy Smith on Vimeo.


SO CUTE AND AMAZING!

Today I worked my face off and I'm just putting the finishing touches up on my pattern submission! I made loaf this morning, chili in the crockpot for dinner (even though i don't really like chili), and am excited to finish up a knit for @kalinhop for her birthday, maybe get to work on my sweater, and go to be a little earlier than last night. XO

Zucchini Gingerbread Loaf

This past summer I put up bag after bag of grated zucchini in my freezer and last week when I was doing a general overview of what we had left to consume from our cold box, I realized we hadn't yet eaten any of the zucchini. So I pulled a bag out and it sat in our fridge for a few days while I thought of what to do with it. And then I started craving gingerbread and the rest is history.

There aren't a lot of zucchini gingerbread recipes out here on the internet. I found this one, and Martha's, and ended up modifying a Mennonite Girls Can Cook recipe with a recipe Northern Purly Girl sent me back in the middle of the harvest. I replaced the sugar with honey, reduced the fat (by a little), added oats, and gingerbready goodness. YUM.

In a large bowl combine:
2 cups previously-frozen grated zucchini
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses

In a separate bowl combine:
3 cups flour
1 cup oats
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until they're just combined. Divide batter among two well-greased loaf pans and bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes.

Note: If you like nuts feel free to add 1 cup of your favourite chopped nut! Of course, walnuts or pecans would taste best, but whatever works in a pinch will do, of course. Same goes for seeds (sunflower, pumpkin), but I'd recommend only adding 1/2 cup of seeds.

No comments: